How to Buy USDT: The Complete Guide
in Tether (USDT)
Tether (USDT) has held its dollar peg for years and is by far the most popular and liquid (easy to buy and sell large amounts) stablecoin (crypto that tracks the value of a relatively more stable asset like the US dollar) in the cryptocurrency marketplace.
If you're wondering, "Where can I buy USDT?", we’ll look at how to buy USDT with dollars, a credit card or PayPal. We’ll also cover the best wallet to use to safely store your USDT after you’ve purchased it.
How to Buy USDT in USA
For Americans, Kraken, a popular centralized exchange, lets you buy Tether with US dollars. While Kraken doesn’t support debit card purchases, they do support wire transfers as well as bank deposits.
Another option is to use Binance US, which also supports USDT/USD trading.
However, the problem with Binance US is that traders from more than a dozen states are not allowed to use the platform. That includes Alabama, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Louisiana, New York, North Carolina, Texas, Vermont and Washington.
These restrictions may change in the future though so you can keep up to date by checking out Binance US' terms of service.
How to Buy USDT with USD
As stated above, either Kraken or Binance US is typically the best place to buy USDT with USD. Besides using one of these two exchanges, there just aren’t that many other options to purchase Tether with dollars.
The problem for US investors is that most of Tether’s trading volume comes from overseas exchanges like Binance and Huobi, which Americans can’t register on. Even if they could register, most Asian exchanges don’t accept US dollar deposits.
How to Buy USDT with Credit Card
There are a couple of exchanges that will let you buy USDT with a credit card. If you’re located outside of the USA, you can buy Tether with a credit card on Binance.
If you’re located within the USA, Changelly claims that they have a service that allows Americans to buy USDT with a credit card. However, the service doesn’t appear to always work. One possibility is to buy Bitcoin with a credit card on Changelly and then convert the BTC into USDT.
How to Buy USDT with PayPal
There isn’t a great way to buy USDT with PayPal. Many crypto exchanges have decided not to support PayPal because PayPal commonly freezes accounts and can reverse transactions days or weeks later.
Probably the best way to buy USDT with PayPal is to buy Bitcoin with PayPal using a service like Paxful or LocalBitcoins. Once you have the Bitcoin you can trade it for USDT using the Exodus wallet, a topic that we’ll cover next.
How to Buy USDT with BTC and Other Cryptos
- Download and install Exodus. Open your Exodus wallet and then select the coin you’d like to trade for USDT. In this example we’ll use Bitcoin.
2. Click on the Receive button. Exodus will display an address where you can send your Bitcoin. Once you’ve sent the BTC and the transaction has confirmed, you can click on the two arrows to the right of the Receive button. This will take you to the exchange page.
3. On the exchange page you can select USDT and enter how much you would like to buy. Once the information is correct you can click on Exchange at the bottom of the page.
4. The exchange will begin and the USDT should show up in your Exodus USDT wallet shortly!
How to Buy USDT Instantly
To answer this question we have to look at two different scenarios.
- You’re already registered on an exchange that sells USDT. If this is the case, and you’ve entered your banking information, you can buy USDT instantly at any time.
- If you’re not registered on an USDT exchange you can buy USDT instantly with a credit card on Binance or CoinSwitch. It’s important to note that buying with a credit card is typically more expensive than buying on an exchange that’s linked with your bank account.
Buy USDT Coinbase
Unfortunately it’s not possible to buy USDT on Coinbase. Coinbase has their own stablecoin, USDC, and this is the stablecoin with the largest trading volume on their platform. They also support DAI, however, the trading volume is typically not that high.
If you want to use Coinbase to get USDT, you can buy Bitcoin on Coinbase and then trade it for USDT using Exodus, as discussed above.
(If you don't know how to withdraw your crypto from Coinbase to Exodus, see our guide on how to do that).
How to Buy USDT in China
The way Tether works is that investors deposit US dollars with the Tether company. Tether then mints new USDT which the investor can withdraw. The same works in reverse, where an investor can send Tether some USDT and receive US dollars in return. This is one of the easiest ways to buy Tether in China.
Unfortunately, in order to open an account with Tether there is a $150 verification fee and the obligatory KYC information that must be entered.
Buy USDT UK
Kraken has a USDT/GBP trading pair which makes Kraken one of the easiest places to buy Tether for residents of the UK.
Get more insider crypto knowledge
from the world’s leading crypto wallet.
USDT Wallet (Where to Store USDT)
Since Tether exists on three different blockchains there is not an official USDT wallet. That’s why the Exodus USDT wallet is one of the best crypto wallets that you can use (if you use the Ethereum-based USDT, which is the most popular USDT version).
Exodus is a reliable, secure, non-custodial (you control your crypto) cryptocurrency wallet with the advantage that it supports more than 100 crypto assets! So instead of having to download a Bitcoin wallet, Tether wallet, etc., you can use Exodus for all your crypto needs.
A few other advantages include:
- Focus on premium design and ease of use
- Is the only wallet to support desktop, mobile, and hardware wallet (Trezor) integration
- Gives you the ability to exchange cryptos for other cryptos right from your wallet - without creating an account! (desktop guide, mobile guide)
- Supports the best decentralized applications like Compound Finance
- Allows you to stake some of the hottest cryptos for crypto passive income
- Lets you sync your wallet between desktop and mobile
- and has 24/7, fast human support if you ever need help
One of the reasons that investors continue to use USDT is that Tether holds its $1 peg quite well. If you’d like to track that peg, you can use the Exodus charts, which have a great layout and easy to use interface.
Tether is a very unique coin in that it actually exists on three different blockchains. A majority of Tether exists on Ethereum as an ERC20 token. However, Tether also runs on the Bitcoin and Tron networks.
Because of how Tether is set up you’ll need to use a different block explorer depending on which blockchain your Tether is on.
- Etherscan works great for Ethereum-based USDT
- Omni Explorer is useful for Bitcoin-based USDT
- TRONSCAN can be used to check on Tron-based USDT
Anyway, we hope this buy USDT guide was helpful!
Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be considered financial advice. Investing in crypto assets is speculative and carries a high degree of risk; you may lose some or all of the money that is invested. Past performance is not indicative of future results.